Currently, we have a vacancy at ISH Secondary School:
Deputy Head – Teaching and Learning (1.0 FTE)
Start date: 1 August 2020
We are looking for a dynamic pedagogical leader with concept-based and inquiry-based learning development expertise to join our Secondary Leadership Team (SecLT) as the Deputy Head – Teaching and Learning . You will be responsible for ensuring that our vision for High Quality Learning is embedded in all of the academic learning experiences of our students across the IB Middle Years Programme (11-16) and IB Career-related and Diploma Programmes (16-18). You will have vision, creativity and a passion for designing concept-based and inquiry-based learning experiences that are purposeful and aligned with IB philosophy and programme requirements.
The Deputy Head – Teaching and Learning has a high profile amongst the staff and wider school community, and will be recognized as a senior leader within the school. You will work in close collaboration with the Deputy Head – IB MYP Coordinator and the Deputy Head – IB DP/CP Coordinator and report directly to the Vice Principal Academic.
The core purpose of the role is to build on our existing best practice and develop a learning community with an international standard of excellence in concept-based and inquiry-based learning. In this context the Deputy Head Teaching and Learning will:
Develop a culture that evaluates the effect of teaching on students learning and achievement, building on Professor John Hatties conclusions that Teaching effectiveness is determined by the quality of inquiry into the relationship between teacher actions and student learning.
Provide high quality internal and external professional learning opportunities
Develop a shared understanding of the language of learning so that students, parents and teachers understand what learning looks like and how to take the next steps in a learning journey
Develop strong relationships and trust with colleagues so that they can carefully interpret what they do and think differently about teaching and learning
Develop effective systems which allow teachers to talk professionally together so they see themselves as agents of change, and that successes and failures in student learning are a direct result of teachers and leaders actions.
Act as a professional role-model and have an open door approach to your own classroom so that colleagues can learn from your practice.
See more about the Role and Responsibilities
– Lead the effective application of contemporary educational research, theory and practice in pedagogy
– With other members of SecLT, contribute to and implement the ISH strategic plan, vision, mission and values while taking a leadership role in the coordination, monitoring and updating of the plan
– Promote good performance and challenge underperformance through effective support, coaching, intervention and follow-up
– Assist other members of the SecLT to review, evaluate and support staff to build capacity and to review performance
– Work with colleagues to produce and implement clear, evidence-based personal and department plans that promote and sustain school improvement
– Use emerging technologies to enhance and extend teaching and learning experiences
The successful candidate will display the following skills and understanding:
– Understanding of effective concept-based and inquiry-based approaches to learning and how to lead the development of colleagues in this area
– How to pose questions that capture the main dimensions of the relationship between teaching and learning
– How to collect valid and reliable information that helps answer the questions about the relationship between teaching and learning
– How to analyse data to inform practice
– How to observe and analyse the teaching of others in ways that identifies actions that impact positively on student learning
– How to locate and evaluate research that provides strong evidence of impact on student learning
**Qualifications and experience:**
– Bachelors / Masters teaching qualification to teach all year groups for Secondary Education. Please know that in order to work for us, you must be a fully qualified teacher in accordance with the standards required by the Dutch Education Authorities (DUO).
– Minimum of 5 years teaching experience within a context that is grounded in concept-based and inquiry-based approaches to teaching and learning
– Minimum of 2 years successful leadership experience as a middle leader (in a large department) or, ideally, as a senior leader
– Fluency in English (written as well as spoken)
– Coaching qualifications/training and experience developing colleagues with diverse subject specialisms and cultural backgrounds
– Experience delivering effective pedagogical training and inset to colleagues
This is a temporary appointment for one year, with a view to a permanent contract if all the conditions are met. The position is based on the Dutch Collective Labor Agreement (CAO) for Secondary Education.
Salary scale LD: €2775 – €5546 pcm (gross) – the step in this scale depends on relevant experience.
The appointed person will start on 01 August 2020.
All applicants must either be EU citizens or have a valid permit to work in The Netherlands.
You are invited to express your interest by following the link to our school website, selecting the corresponding Deputy Head Teaching & Learning vacancy, and submitting your application via TES.
Applicants must provide details of three referees, of which one must be their most recent Head of School or Deputy Head. If shortlisted, we will contact referees prior to the second round of interviews.
Deadline for Applications: Monday, 27th January 2020. Short listed candidates will be interviewed as soon as possible. Please note that the school reserves the right to interview suitable applicants early and make an appointment prior to the deadline.
If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to contact Penny van Niekerk, ISH Secondary Recruitment Officer, on firstname.lastname@example.org before or on the deadline.
If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks after the date mentioned in the job vacancy, then please assume that, on this occasion, your application has been unsuccessful.
Please visit our school website for more specific information about our school: www.ishthehague.nl
The Rijnlands Lyceum Recruitment Code is applicable and can be obtained via the above email address or our website/job-vacancies.
Note: Agency calls and emails regarding this advertisement are not appreciated.